Old 08-06-2018, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coffee grounds and slugs

On 08/06/18 21:24, Derek wrote:
In addition, the BBC page made no mention of wood ash as
far as I can see, so your use of "they" is misleading in that anyone
reading it would believe it referred to the RHS trial. In any case, that
trial has only just started, so if you know of someone who tried wood
ash in another trial you are referring to, and if it was not a success,
could you please post a link to it.

Thanks for clearing that up, Allotment growers UK facebook page has
had lots of discussions and the trial I was refering to is the one by
Matt Peskett
https://www.growlikegrandad.co.uk/al...ypsum-yes.html
I too saw the BBC item, and it came across as some new fangled
research. it seemed relevent to point out that ash when wet is like
most barriers a waste of time, Asking for clarification would have
been a better way

Derek
A user of News groups since Bullinton Boards and Blue Wave :-)

Thanks for the link. I am not in the least surprised that most of the
barriers were ineffective, especially when wet. The thorny barriers are
interesting, but only really suitable for selected plants.

I have wondered if ultrafine sand or silica sprayed in an adhesive gel
which sticks to plants would dissuade slugs and snails from eating them.
It would be a very hard material which could blunt the teeth on their
radulas.

--

Jeff