Old 19-06-2018, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_2_] Nyssa[_2_] is offline

Default Our first tomato

Terry Coombs wrote:

was picked green , and sliced , battered and fried for
dinner . Accompanying the subject tomato was cubed
potatoes with butter and parsley , fried okra -frozen,
from last year's crop - and a nice chunk of ham . There
are so many tomatoes already on and so many blossoms , we
are going to be BURIED in tomatoes before long . We are
having a *VERY* good year !

Yesterday there were two *ripe* SuperSweet 100 tomatoes
on one of my two potted tomato plants.

I picked them both and gave one to my elderly neighbor
to give her a taste of things to come. I ate the other
one. YUM!

The deer have chomped on three of the four tomato plants
out in the garden bed despite being wrapped in bird
netting. They look for an opening, then push enough
netting aside to get a taste.

Luckily the Roma they half-chomped down has recovered and
is loaded with green tomatoes. The San Marzano that was
half-chomped is taking longer to recover, but at least
has a few tiny tomatoes on it. The latest snack was
a SuperSweet 100, that was nibbled. At least I have two
of those on the deck in pots, safe from Bambi.

Nyssa, who has not planted anything else in the main
garden beds because of the deer snacking and is sticking
to pot culture for a few items only