Old 21-06-2018, 12:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default TOT deterring pigeons

On 21/06/2018 11:52, Roger Tonkin wrote:

I used to hang a large dish below the feeders to catch the
discards, which other birds would then eat.

I've tried similar with the bird feeders that have an inbuilt large bowl
like base. All this does is allows the pigeons to gain access to the
feeder as they can perch (with slight difficulty) on this bowl.

The dead pigeon is still on my lawn and not a live pigeon has been seen
today. Other birds are still feeding including on the ground beneath the
feeders.

Mind you we
did have our sparrow hawk, who kept th smaller birds on their
toes.

I've just returned from visiting friends in the Shropshire Hills where
it is very common to see Red Kites and Buzzards. However, close to my
friends house crows were nesting and if any Kite or Buzzard appeared
they were immediately mobbed by all nearby crows and driven away.