Old 23-06-2018, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cucumber distortion

On 23/06/2018 18:28, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Has anyone seen anything like this, NOT from hormone weedkiller.
Two out of three plants developed this way, but side shoots seem to
be normal. I have used no weedkiller near them, and suspect something
weather-related.

This isn't the first time I have seen this on cucurbits, and it seems
to be highly correlated with the source of the seed. I suspect a virus
in the parent plant, as it has happened to saved seed as well, but why
have they then seemed to recover.

http://imgur.com/kTRrnx3.jpg
http://imgur.com/OsYRN8s.jpg

Looks like fasciation where the growing point becomes linear.

Might be due to an air frost or pest damage or genetics.

Coleus from seed used to sometimes do this too.
Often enough to be noticeable.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown