Old 02-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Dwayne

Default Asparagus questions

I have planted two asparagus beds. When I lived in Arkansas (zone 7), it
came up one year the end of February, another year it didnt come up until
the second week in March.

Now I live in Kansas (zone 5). I doubt if I will see anything come up until
sometime in April. I hope not because it will be damaged by frost.

Depending on where you are, yours may still be coming up. I wouldnt give up
on them yet. How long has the one been up?

Store bought asparagus sprouts cannot be sprouted. I would order 2 or 3
year old roots from a mail order place that has them. You wont get any to
eat until the following year. I read where I was supposed to leavet hem
alone unless they are as big as a pencil or bigger.

Good luck. Dwayne

"Chris" wrote in message news:3e618ec7_2@newsfeed...
Last year I planted some asparagus plants which needed a year to become
established well enough to be harvested. This year, all but one appear to

be
dead, even though they did pretty well last year.

Planting new by seeds takes three years before first harvest.
So my question is, can store-bought asparagus be sprouted (in water, for
example) and planted, and if so, how soon would it be harvestable?

If not, is mature stock available anywhere?

Thanks in advance...