Old 29-06-2018, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default rototilling rocky soil

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 18:44:04 GMT, Granny
m wrote:

replying to Charlie, Granny wrote:
Thank you! I had the same question and your answer was well written and very
helpful!

No rototiller can handle soil with many large rocks. You'll need to
dig them out by hand with a shovel or simply mark off the area you
want to plant and build a frame of rail road ties at least a foot high
and have good top soil brought in to fill it, that's what I did for my
vegetable garden. Often it's better not to disturb the base soil
regardless of rocks as it makes for good drainage. I used real RR
ties, used ones were $8 each. To keep them from shifting I
drilled three holes in each and used 3' sections of rebar to stake
them in place. I also made up some aluminum fish plates to splice the
RR tie ends and corners. Every two years I till in a couple of yards
of composted mushroom growing mix, for that I use a Mantis tiller, so
easy to control even an eight year old child can use it. Don't let
the small size of a Mantis tiller fool you, it works like a beast
without straining your body. Originally I bought an 8 horsepower
Simplicity tiller, wore me out, after an hour I needed a rest. I sold
it and bought the Mantis, everyone who gardens needs one. Here I
added an addition. By reversing the tines on the Mantis it will puree
grass including the roots.
https://postimg.cc/image/xcna8cwv5/