Old 28-07-2018, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Figs :-(

On 28/07/2018 13:38, Nick Maclaren wrote:
We have a fig tree, which is overleafy and underfruiting because I
failed to restrict it when planting it, but that's not the real
problem. It rarely crops because the overwintered figlets almost
always fail to develop, which I suspect is because it isn't against
a wall (we don't have one), and our garden is a bit of a cold trap
in winter (wind more than a frost pocket).

Am I onto a complete loser here? If so, I may try in a polytunnel
with draconian root restriction.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have to say we have 6 different varieties and its a constant battle to
keep control, they are planted in "Fig Bags" which are a neat way of
root restriction, the problem is that I have no real idea how you are
supposed to prune them? all 6 crop, some varieties better than others,
the figs we get all start to form after the winter, those that you can
see in December either fall off or if they do swell are normally empty.

My present method is to cut off most of the shoots without fruit on to
just one or two buds but that is mainly so I can see the figs! otherwise
they can go overripe and fall.

So I am hoping someone tells us both how it should be done!!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall