Old 29-07-2018, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Figs :-(

On 28/07/2018 13:38, Nick Maclaren wrote:
We have a fig tree, which is overleafy and underfruiting because I
failed to restrict it when planting it, but that's not the real
problem. It rarely crops because the overwintered figlets almost
always fail to develop, which I suspect is because it isn't against
a wall (we don't have one), and our garden is a bit of a cold trap
in winter (wind more than a frost pocket).

+1

Although I have my Brown Turkey against a wall and root constrained here
in North Yorkshire. It never seems to get going properly and gives good
vegetative growth but poor or no cropping on a heavy clay soil.

I wonder if it needs to be a certain size in relation to the root run
before it will play ball or else I am doing something wrong.

Am I onto a complete loser here? If so, I may try in a polytunnel
with draconian root restriction.

I have seen a wild fig tree in central Manchester (on the river visible
from Blackfriars bridge that fruits profusely) and also at places like
Fountains Abbey not that far from me so it is possible on a variety of
soils iff they like the conditions. I'd have thought your sandy soil
would be more to its liking and you have a few degrees of latitude
advantage in terms of sunlight. I think they are fully cold hardy in the
UK once they get established so I doubt that is the problem.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown