Old 29-07-2018, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Figs :-(

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 12:38:12 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

We have a fig tree, which is overleafy and underfruiting because I
failed to restrict it when planting it, but that's not the real problem.
It rarely crops because the overwintered figlets almost always fail to
develop, which I suspect is because it isn't against a wall (we don't
have one), and our garden is a bit of a cold trap in winter (wind more
than a frost pocket).

Am I onto a complete loser here? If so, I may try in a polytunnel with
draconian root restriction.

Years of experimentation indicate that on our Brown Turkey any figlets
which over winter drop off in the spring. It is the new buds which grow
into mature figs.

Our fig tree is in an "Ali Baba" pot (against an East facing garage wall
but does get a lot of sun in the summer) and so is very restricted in
growth. We do get at least one fig most years and have several developing
this year, although the earliest one has been eaten by Nature whilst we
were away. One eaten by us, one about to be eaten, and several more
prospects.

I'm trying to work out how old it is and it is probably coming on for 20
years now. I have promised it that it can have a bigger home when we
finally reorganise the garden.

The fig tree is always outside and has survived some very severe winters,
but the seasons are generally mild and dry here in coastal Suffolk so your
particular location may not suit.

I keep meaning to take cuttings, and perhaps you could take some cuttings
and experiment with different locations outside and under cover?

Do you know which variety it is? Brown Turkey is, as far as I know, one of
the most reliable in the UK.

Cheers

Dave R

---