Old 31-07-2018, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another Orchid thing

On 31/07/18 18:20, David wrote:
A couple of our Orchids were put out on the naughty step for not
performing. Naughty step is outside under cover down the side passage.

They are now thriving and one has been allowed back in because it is
coming into flower.

The location is a shady spot under cover of our wrap around car port with
a plastic roof. So in the current conditions, strong afternoon light
diffused through plastic, warm and humid.

Is our side passage now similar to a rain forest under the canopy?

Nope. If you've ever been in a rainforest you wonder how /anything/
grows in such gloom. It's hot and humid, but above all pretty dark.
Maybe your orchids were not flowering simply because it was the wrong
time of the year. IME, phalaenopsis do nothing until around April when
they start to wake up and flower buds start to appear. What orchids were
you referring to?

--

Jeff