Old 03-08-2018, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Hedge Trimmer Recommendations

On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 07:40:57 +0100, TheChief wrote:

Hi Fellow URGlers

Yes I know this stuff can be googled but am after real world opinion!

I have a mixed row of hedging comprising cotoneaster, escallonia,
eleagnus, photinia and ceanothus.
The height is around 2.5m and length about 20m, more of a run of
shrubs being treated as a hedge.

Our old mains Black and Decker corded trimmer is small and old and
we are considering treating ourselves to a new machine.

What I think we need is:
A longer blade Adjustable length Angleable head Probably a bit thicker
branch capacity

The concerns:
Machine weight - neither myself or the Mrs are body building types.
Machine "balance" in use.
Cost - not so concerned but want vfm

I am thinking that the weight concern means we should be looking
at corded models still.

Constructive comments and recommendations appreciated.

Phil

I have the Lidl long reach one with hedge trimmer and small chain saw.

I haven't used this one yet, but used a friend's one a few years back and
it was pretty good for the high up stuff although that was chain saw tree
pruning.

I will know more in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Dave |R