Old 12-08-2018, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Well no wonder !

On 8/12/2018 4:43 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 8/12/2018 2:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/12/2018 7:50 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Seems that in the last week or two something(s) have been
marauding my tomato patch . I thought I had it better protected ...
yesterday afternoon I set up my game cam in the corner where they've
been eating their ill-gotten gains , only to discover there are 3
shifts ... late afternoon/early evening , the squirrels dine , then
after dark the raccoons come in , followed later by the 'possums .
Looks like I need to improve the protection out there . I have to
admit , the west side is hard to get to because of the wild
blackberries and I've let the chicken wire and 'lectric wires get
overgrown a little . It's been working so well until recently that
I've become complacent , and that's gotta end . I'm not certain if
they're crawling under the chicken wire or going over , probably the
latter since there are sags that weren't there when I installed it .
Either way , I'll be out there today tightening things up in an
effort to stop it - all the ripe or nearly ripe 'maters are gone ,
and they've started in on the green ones , I gotta do something or
this will be the end of tomato season for this year . And I've got a
lot more jars to fill .

Groundhogs are eating my neighbors tomatoes.Â* Time for the Hav-a-hart
trap.

Â* OK , I know most of y'all don't have the conditions I do here living
out in the woods . So trap the l'il sucker , carry him out into the
woods (so to speak) and cap him there .

If I could shoot out back, I'd use my .22LR. Trapping laws vary and
around here you can trap and kill but not release off your property. I
trap and release anyway. When I was still working in the lab with
access to chemicals an older chemist told me to pour a bottle of
chloroform down the groundhog's burrow where the heavy vapor would
settle underground in the tunnel bottom. Groundhog would go in and get
anesthetized permanently. It worked for one in my back yard.