Old 25-08-2018, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp is offline

Default Oleria Traversii [Again]

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 06:54:00 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 22:42:13 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
wrote:
Many thanks Chris. I will have to get friendly with the farmer!

I truly am grateful, I would not have thought of that,I would have
stuck the fence up and I would imagine that a resited fence would not
have quite the same looks.

I should have also said that the taller the fence, the more difficult
it would be for the horses or cattle to lean over it and eat the
hedge. But tall fences are expensive and may look out of place in some
locations

I might go up a metre and keep things around that height, although
after a svere storm some years back, the felled Olerias which han't
been touched for some thirty years, kept the wood burner going for
nearly two years. A tempting thought if fuel prices go up when I'm in
my dotage.

I will try for a metre initially with the spacing and an electric
fence I might be o/k.

A high fence would I'm sure not be practical. I had to replace the 2"
aluminum TV mast with a scaffolding pole and I'm told that chainlinks
can collect the black plastic and suchlike, they then go horizontal in
the wind.

I think the chainlink and a supplementary electric fence might be the
answer, although as I provide power to the farmer, he might not object
to me adding some wire onto his existing system.

Again thanks Chris.

AB