Old 25-08-2018, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_2_] Nyssa[_2_] is offline

Default Radish and onion review

T wrote:

Hi All,

Review:

Imai Early Yellow Onion:
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_135-96.html

Claim to fame: large onions, over winter.

Three plantings: 1) late fall, 2) early spring, 3) late
spring

Zero germination.

Bora King, Hybrid Korean Radish (purple):
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_489-114.html

Big Time, Hybrid Korean Radish (white) (had larger blue
seeds ): http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_419-114.html

Claim to fame: LARGE!

Two plantings: 1) early spring, 2) late spring

About one in seven germinated. Only about one is three
survived.

Taste: hot and nasty. A tiny bit made my stomach start to
hurl.

Vegetable Spaghetti squash:
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_085-187.html

Claim to fame: fun!

Planted early spring
100% germination

Three plants: five medium squash on one; one large on
another; one large on the third.

Comment: takes way to long to ripen and not worth the
effort to grow; small yield

-T

Sorry to hear about your back luck with the germination
and the poor showing on the squash.

Kitazawa seeds has a couple of lettuce and a few other
varieties that I like and can't find elsewhere, but I've
pretty much given up ordering from them.

Their prices and shipping costs make their seeds more
expensive than most other vendors. I wish they'd offer
smaller seed packages at a lower cost. Lettuce and onion
seeds usually aren't reliable after the first year, and
sending 500+ lettuce seeds in each package means most
are tossed out since I'm only growing for myself and
a neighbor.

It's certainly not a frugal option despite the hard-to-
find varieties.

Nyssa, who except for her blueberry crop had another lost
year in her garden