Old 27-08-2018, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Chokos chayote

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 17:29:14 +1000, FMurtz
wrote:

I do not know if the UK knows they these exist but here goes, For three
years I have tried to grow chokos (chayote in America), In Australia
they usually grow rampant,down any fence across the dunny and take over,
but not for me.
I buy a few chokos from the supermarket that have started to sprout I
dig a hole fill with bag of potting mix and a bit of fertilizer, have
also tried in just dug up dirt, they all grow vines but no chokos, if I
knew anyone with chocos I might pinch a couple in case mine were
rendered sterile before sale, but I do not think they would bother,
. Any ideas?

Never heard of it, but I assume you've googled for suggestions. There
seems to be plenty of advice out there. https://tinyurl.com/y96du98w
and https://tinyurl.com/yb58p3h6 Do your plants even flower?

With some cucurbits, the sex of the flowers is temperature dependent.
https://tinyurl.com/y8xlk3nx

If you get flowers of both sexes, do you ensure the females get
pollinated, either by insects or by you with a paint brush or rabbit's
tail? The female flowers have a tiny bulge at the base, the incipient
fruit that will grow when the flower is pollinated.

No flowers just vines.