Old 27-08-2018, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hazel size

On 27/08/18 18:14, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I am pruning my hazel clump, and I am certain it is Corylus avellana,
but the damn thing is over 10 metres high! All my books say that it
doesn't grow more than 6m. It was bought as ordinary hedging plants
a long time back, but there are 20 year old stems that reach that
high. Do other people have such large hazels, or is this unusual?

I don't know how many times I've told people that plants *can't* read books!

FWIW, both "Hilliers Manual of Trees and Shrubs" and the "RHS Dictionary
of Gardening" state that Corylus avellana is usually a shrub to 20ft/6m
or, more rarely, a tree to 35ft/10m in height.

--

Jeff