Old 07-09-2018, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Microwave Steriliser

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

I didn't see the OP, but the only time I've sterilised compost is when
I've used compost from my compost heap, which was a cold heap and full
of weed seeds. Cooking it up in a microwave stopped them germinating,
and I'd be reasonably sure that the only things coming up were what
I'd sown. Likewise, cuttings didn't get swamped by weed seedlings.

My dad had a method of soil sterilisation, when he was mixing
potting compost:

He used a wooden box, probably an old packing case, inserted a
metal plate at each end and filled it with soil. The plates were
connected to the mains, via an ammeter. Then he added water
until the soil resistance lowered, and hence the ammeter reading
rose to the desired level. It was left to simmer for hours. I can
smell it now.

I have even found an old gardening book of his in which this
method is explained.

Do not try this at home! ;-)

Chris

Why? He did.