Old 18-09-2018, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Weird growing year!

On 03/09/2018 09:42, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

Is it just me or has it been a weird growing year.

Certainly a strange one for blackberries (wild ones). We've
been picking them here now for a month, and they are just
coming o an end in the local fields. In Oxfordshire a couple of
weeks ago they were only just starting, as they were on the
Gower last week. - Now I know that no doubt there are differing
varieties that fruit at different times, but in all my many
years of picking, I've never picked in August before, usually
Sept/Oct and I even remember one year picking into November, at
which my mother threw a wobbly, because it was after Halloween!

Also got a second crop of peas coming, I did not get round to
clearing them after we picked them all, then noticed new shoots
coming out with flowers and now pods on them. Slightly similar
with the broad beans. I cut them down when finished and leave a
short stalk and the roots in the ground until I dig in the
Autumn, but again this year shoots have appeared and flowered -
not sure if they will ripen though.

There seems to be plenty of berries/rose hips etc around, which
according to the old wives tale shows we are in for a bad
winter

Yesterday I noticed that 2 of my Rhododendrons are in flower, the heads
are only carying around 6 flowers each but both shrubs have around 15 to
20 heads in flower.