Old 21-09-2018, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default SOT - splitting cypress rounds

In article , lid
says...
Subject: SOT - splitting cypress rounds
From: Jeff Layman
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

On 21/09/18 01:18, David Hill wrote:
[quoted text muted]
Or am I missing the plot completely and these, in sawn wood, form the
knots?

They are absorbed into the trunk making it much stronger. The wood is
harder the longer left.

Anyone got any links on the internet which actually states this? I am
not doubting the statement at all - I agree with it. But why have I
seen it now only in these cypress logs, and not other types of wood?

The easier wat to split is from the bottom of the log, still not easy

Is there an easy way to tell top from bottom of an otherwise uniform
appearance log? But you are right - I gave up trying to split some logs
which had branched, even though the rounds were only 10 cm thick. I'll
have to saw through them.

Let the logs dry under cover until some small gap/split shows where
you can drive in a log bomb. Much more effective than an axe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-17...itting-Easily-
Grenade/dp/B0091SW1NQ

Janet.