Old 21-09-2018, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default SOT - splitting cypress rounds

On 21/09/18 12:36, Janet wrote:
In article , lid
says...
Subject: SOT - splitting cypress rounds
From: Jeff Layman
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

On 21/09/18 01:18, David Hill wrote:
[quoted text muted]
Or am I missing the plot completely and these, in sawn wood, form the
knots?

They are absorbed into the trunk making it much stronger. The wood is
harder the longer left.

Anyone got any links on the internet which actually states this? I am
not doubting the statement at all - I agree with it. But why have I
seen it now only in these cypress logs, and not other types of wood?

The easier wat to split is from the bottom of the log, still not easy

Is there an easy way to tell top from bottom of an otherwise uniform
appearance log? But you are right - I gave up trying to split some logs
which had branched, even though the rounds were only 10 cm thick. I'll
have to saw through them.

Let the logs dry under cover until some small gap/split shows where
you can drive in a log bomb. Much more effective than an axe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-17...itting-Easily-
Grenade/dp/B0091SW1NQ

These logs are at least 6 years old and have always been under cover.
Very few show splits, and in those that do the splits are barely a mm
across and 3 or 4 cm long. I am using a small splitting axe (4 cm wide
head with 35 cm handle) - not chopping axe - and once jammed in use a
club hammer to drive it in further. Because of the internal "reinforcing
branches" it makes no difference even when the axe head is level with
the edge of the log - the two pieces do not separate until the branch is
cut with a chisel.

Logs of other wood stored for similar lengths of time show wide cracks
- up to 4 or 5mm and 7 or 8 cm long. If I hit these accurately with the
axe, I can split the log with one hit. If I drive the axe in with the
hammer, it takes only two or three blows to split the log completely apart.

--

Jeff