Old 02-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Hane

Default Propagating fig from cutting?

"Anonymo421" wrote in message
I've not done this with woody plants before, but I would take some new

growth,
maybe with a bud on the end (2-3" long). Skin a little bark off the botton
1/4" or so and dip in rooting hormone, then put in moist potting soil. Out
here in AZ I keep my cuttings moist by inverting a clear plastic cup over

them
(careful with sun though). Hope this is of some use.

I had never done it before but used this same process this with 7 cuttings
from a friend's tree. Three of them survived and flourish. I put all seven
in one big pot and put it in a shady spot by my garage that never dries
out. My sticks were about 10" long and I made sure two buds were coated
with the hormone and under soil level. It did take a long time. I thought
they'd all failed until one day I noticed three were leafing out!

h-