Old 02-10-2018, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default It's getting silly now.

On 02/10/2018 17:52, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/10/18 15:57, Bob Hobden wrote:
Went to three large GCs this morning looking for an electric fan
greenhouse heater. Not one had a heater of any description. And they
all wonder why we buy stuff online.
Rant over.

I don't know whether it's because I *know* the range of products
available, or whether shops have become useless, but I am forever in
this position.

Went in a garden centre and asked for some spagnum moss (for a fly
eating type plant).

"We don't keep that sir"

"Que?"

But to be fair, if the shop does keep product type X, I often know
there's a better system of type X that, if I have to spend money, then I
really want that one, not one I've deemed inferior.

And I've had so many duff garden tools from GCs (trowels that fold in
half when you use them) that I'd rather trust Amazon reviews now.

Some of the problem is it is impossible to stock the range of what's
available online (effectively everything made anywhere, to all intents).

But some of it they bring on themselves, eg the "folding trowels".

The latter: Stock a value range and a quality range. The value range
shouldn't fold in half either, but will be cheaper plastic handles, will
rust and be less comfortable. The quality range simply must NOT bend in
half on first use, must last years and be nice to use.

If you want Spagnum moss then the bestplace is a wholesale florist who
will probably still have some for those wanting to make traditional wreaths.