Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Raspberry planting

In article ,
says...

I was thinking of planting two rows of raspberries in my new 10ft raised
beds this autumn: one row summer fruiting and one autumn fruiting. I
was hoping to get two varieties of each (i.e. 4 varieties in total) and
I was looking at
https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk but I start to get cold
feet about spacing etc.

Is one row of 2x5 canes stupidly close in a 10ft bed? For pennies less
I could get 2x3 canes per row instead, but is 3x canes of one variety
too few to be worth bothering with? Should I just simplify my life and
go for "textbook" spacing of 6 or 7 of only one variety per row instead?

Opinions?

Peter

Not really sure why you want different varieties. I grew just
one variety in each row, and as my bed ran east west, I planted
the autumn fruiting one south of the summer fruiting ones.

Given the nature of growing raspberries, where you cut down the
canes each year and new ones come up, providing you soil is
reasoanly good, after a couple of years they will be coming up
every where, so planting just a few canes well sopaced is in
the long term just as effective.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales