Old 06-10-2018, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Butternut Squash: leave or harvest?

David Hill wrote:

In article ,
Peter Robinson wrote:

Is the idea to leave them as long as possible up until the frost, or is
it just as well to take them inside now?

See if you can stick your thumb nail through the skin, if not they are
ripe, but if you can break the skin then they need more time to ripen

That's disappointing! I'd have said the skins were pretty tough, but my
thumbnail does bruise them a little and I don't want to press harder.

Peter