Old 23-10-2018, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Grass Cuttings Experiment

In article ,
says...

In the spring my neighbour gave me a spare Dalek compost bin,
as he had made "proper" compose bins.

I decided to use it just for grass cuttings and keep my other
Dalek for other compostables.

Before everyone throws up their hands in horror at the
potential thick solid mess that could ensue, I have layered the
grass cuttings with shreded paper, as I used to do in my
"proper" bins before I moved.

Now we have got to the end of the grass cutting season (I
hope!) I am wondering what the next step should be:

1) Just leave it as it is
2) Put some more paper on the top with some weights to compress
3) Stir it up with a fork (if I can reach in to the bottom!)
and then take options 1 or 2 above.

Any thoghts welcome

Ta

I do absolutely nothing to my dalek composts. I keep the lid on and
because it's warm and dry the dalek gets colonised by millions of ants
which chew up the contents into a fine brown "soil" like potting
compost. When they're done, lift off the dalek to position elsewhere.
Now you have access to the ants' product. Any left-overs that they
haven't processed, I just leave as mulch.

If you have pondfish, the dalek antfarm will also provide an endless
source of ant eggs.

Janet.