Old 23-10-2018, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grass Cuttings Experiment

On 23/10/18 13:03, Chris Hogg wrote:

I'd churn it somehow, but whether you can do that from the top I don't
know. Why not just tip it all out and then fork it back in in a random
fashion. That should stir it enough to mix it and get air into it.
Adding more shredded paper or similar is probably a good idea as
well.

Shredded paper (enough of) makes a huge difference in my hotbin between
failure and 70C composting.

Chippings work and I have observed dried crinkly leaves have done some
good in lieu of paper when I ran out.

So does cardboard stuffed through the chipper (mine can). Good way to
lose a few Amazon boxes.

It's possible the chemical composition of paper is advantageous over the
other options with regard to it becoming part of the breakdown process
and supplying carbon to the reactions, as opposed to merely keeping the
pile ventilated - I'm not 100% sure.

I can see that being an issue with chippings, but leaves???