Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp is offline

Default Olearia/ growlights.

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 21:29:32 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

I'd forget about grow lights.
I've always rooter Oleria from Autumn cuttings left to overwinter
outside, so they callus slowly then in the spring they will start to root.
Leave them till next autumnb by which time most should ge growing, a few
will have died, but easy to see which is which.

Thank you.

Yes I gather grow lights may be of limited use. I have a few cuttings
on the go though and I thought I might see if there is any slight
advantage. The cuttings I have here were taken around April, May.

The actual destination of the plants and source of the cuttings isn't
in the UK and I'm a bit of an infrequent visitor at the moment.

I will be heading out to the place next week and will load up with a
fresh batch of cuttings then, hopefully it wont be too late to start
them off. I will leave the new batch outside as you suggest although I
had around 25 Olearia in pots last year, they were around 0.5 to 1M
and were purchased from an Ebay dealer in September. None died, but a
number did have quite severe frost damage. I presume cuttings would be
at high risk?

I live in the Midlands, not exactly Olearia country, but the
destination although coastal and warmer has winds that flatten
everything without a good root system.

I have a large number of Aprils cuttings on the go there now, but I
usually arrive to find a shrivelled mess :-(

Many thanks.

AB

---