Old 18-11-2018, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Viburum Fragrans - when to transplant?

In article lalaw44-C1BF89.09435318112018@201-92-171-
81.dsl.telesp.net.br, says...

I have a small viburnum fragrans, which has grown up beside a much
larger one (therefore I assume a 'sucker').

I'd like to plant this somewhere else in the garden: when is the best
time to do this? It has flowers at present of course, but neither do I
like the idea of doing it in Spring, when it's leafing out!

Sometimes a young sucker has so little independent root system that
if you dig it up and transplant, it might not survive. If you have lots
of suckers on an easily propagated plant, it can be worth risking. But
if it's the only sucker on a special treasure, I'd be more cautious.

It's worth doing a little gentle excavation to check the sucker's
roots. If there are some roots but not many,I sever its connection to
the parent plant, then leave it in situ to encourage better root
development for a few months before digging it up.

Janet