Old 28-11-2018, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Laying salt and cardboard to deal with invasion

On 24/11/2018 20:17, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
john west wrote:
Our plot at the allotment is bordered with a tall palisade metal fence
with masses of weeds and nettles etc poking through it.

we spend a lot of time trying to trim tall nettles through the narrow
gaps in the fence. As the path is close to the fence we are constantly
getting stung.

It quite difficult to get to the other side of the fence which is waste
ground.

So have bought a bag of road salt and masses of cardboard to put down.

Is there a specific time of year that would be best to lay down the
cardboard and salt please? Thanks for any advice

Er, what is that supposed to achieve? Seriously. I can't think of
an effective way of using those to discourage nettles.

You could put the entire bag od salt on top of a single plant. That
would probably discourage it at least for a while.

Setting fire to the cardboard to singe them would be the only effective
way I can see of using it as a weedkiller.

Old heavyweight carpet on waste ground is usable to suppress weeds if
you don't care what it looks like. I prefer to have some nettles for the
butterflys. I dislike and persecute ground elder and bindweed though.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown