Old 16-12-2018, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default composing kitchen waste

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Whet is the best way of doing this, so as no to attract vermin? As it
seems the powers that be are going to bring in bins for kitchen waste I
wouldlike to avoid them.

I compost all our kitchen waste, have done for 40 years, and it rarely
attracts vermin. The exception is when I throw out fish heads or bones
with some meat on (which is rare), when it is raided by the neighbour's
cats. I don't even bother to cover it up, except in those cases. Also,
I run a traditional cold heap, which is not protected against vermin
at all.

When we DO get rats, the reason they come is for shelter, because my
heap is in one of the few places in the area well away from houses.
I have blocked off access to under my shed, to help with that, but can
do nothing about the neighbour's shed. The compost heap is raided for
worms, but otherwise is not often occupied - and the solution there is
to turn it over.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.