Old 16-12-2018, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default composing kitchen waste

On 16/12/2018 12:15, Broadback wrote:
Whet is the best way of doing this, so as no to attract vermin? As it
seems the powers that be are going to bring in bins for kitchen waste I
wouldlike to avoid them.

Just get a dalek.
Depending on an arrangement with your council you may get a subsidised
bin from:

https://getcomposting.com/profile/login

Enter your postcode and press "GO"

I compost kitchen waste, shredded paper, torn up cardboard and garden
waste albeit the latter 3 items form the bulk of my composting.

Card packaging I leave in the rain to get wet which make removing
plastic tape etc. easy. The only thing to watch with packaging is some
card has a thin plastic film and some other seems to be practically
waterproof. Packaging with a smooth coloured surface is often the
plastic coated stuff and cases such as those used by Coke/Pepsi are the
waterproof types of card. The latter is usually difficult to tear.
Neither are ideally suitable for composting however if you do put them
in the bin the card will rot down leaving the plastic untouched.
Although a PITA it is fairly easy to remove the plastic from te finished
compost.

Hot composting requires bulk so just using kitchen your waste will
result in cold composting which is a relatively slow process. Just keep
add ing to the contents of the dalek and the bottom layers will slowly
rot down.