Old 17-12-2018, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default composing kitchen waste

snip

Our council provides "Food waste" bins, which it collects
weekly. All our cooked waste (not that there is much) goes in
them and we are allowed "small" bones - with typically no
formal definition. Uncooked food waste peelings etc go in the
dalek - the exception being potato pelings, which go in the
food waste. This goes back many years to my parents who
insisted that potato peelings would potentially grow if put on
the compost - and this has just stuck with me without a fully
logical reason

As an aside to Roger's post. My grandparents, who like most working
class people in those days, were very poor, saved potato peelings and
planted them to raise potatoes. It worked but the crop was meagre.

Now they deep fry them and sell them as a starter in Italian (and other)
restaurants. That's what they call progress.

--
Jim S