Old 16-01-2019, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Just picked the last of the outdoor tomatoes

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:50:20 +0000, David wrote:

It has been a strange year!

Quite a few ripe ones.

I'm now wondering if the green ones will ripen indoors.

Well, more ripened in a brown paper bag.

I did leave a few on the vine. I stripped the vine of almost all leaves
but left it with a few small trusses just for interest.

It looks as though the remaining tiny tomatoes are ripening very slowly.

Cold weather is due, but I'm now wondering if a tomato plant could be over
wintered in a frost free cold greenhouse ready to sprout again next
spring. Given that commercial growers seem to just have a vine going up
20-40 feet in the air on a wire and then just pull it down and loop it as
they pick ripe trusses and the tip grows upwards.

Cheers

Dave R

---