Old 26-01-2019, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Winter Harvest

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 9:57:58 AM UTC-5, Nyssa wrote:
T wrote:

On 1/25/19 7:31 AM, Nyssa wrote:
T wrote:

Hi All,

Twice in a row now I have cuts stems of Rosemary for the
kitchen, right in the dead of winter. Some snow on
the ground too.

Man that plant is DEFENSIVE! All you have to do is
touch it and it lets loose with volatile oils like there
was
no tomorrow. Cut off a stem and OH BOY !!! (Poor
guy does not realize humans like that scent.)

What ??? Cheating? It is a "evergreen" you say?

:-)

-T

You've got to watch those bad boys too. They can get WAY
out of hand if not pruned brutally. Mine got so big it
was taking over not only the bed, but encroaching on my
driveway.

Hi Nyssa,

I have been clipping from the side that would affect
my garlic bed.

Did you happen to notice if the clipping acted like
a bug repellent? Say squash bugs and earwigs?

-T

No, I haven't tried that. The rosemary and herb bed was on
the side of house, not near the vegetable garden, so not
close enough to repel any nasties.

As strong as the rosemary scent is, it's worth a try. Maybe
I should have tried that with my pesky deer invaders while
I still had a huge plant with plenty of branches I could have
used.

Nyssa, who is still looking for ways to keep Bambi and company
out of her vegetables again this year

We have a flock of sheep which seem to keep the deer away. One morning, I saw a few deer in the pasture; the head ram came charging at them and they ran away. I guess he didn't like those strange animals eating his flock's grass.

They don't bother the garden but sometimes, in the middle of a cold winter, they dig up and eat any beets that my wife hasn't harvested.

Paul