Old 04-03-2019, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Just picked the last of the outdoor tomatoes

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 17:18:25 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 16/01/2019 20:19, David wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:50:20 +0000, David wrote:

It has been a strange year!

Quite a few ripe ones.

I'm now wondering if the green ones will ripen indoors.

Well, more ripened in a brown paper bag.

I did leave a few on the vine. I stripped the vine of almost all leaves
but left it with a few small trusses just for interest.

It looks as though the remaining tiny tomatoes are ripening very
slowly.

Cold weather is due, but I'm now wondering if a tomato plant could be
over wintered in a frost free cold greenhouse ready to sprout again
next spring. Given that commercial growers seem to just have a vine
going up 20-40 feet in the air on a wire and then just pull it down and
loop it as they pick ripe trusses and the tip grows upwards.

There was a huge tomato plant 10m diameter grown by hydroculture and
supported by pig netting in a round greenhouse at the Science Expo
museum at Tsukuba, Japan that was already many years old when I was
there in the 1990's. Kept frost free and with plenty of light they seem
to be very long lived. I don't know if it is still there. This place:

https://www.japan.travel/en/spot/1454/

My UK outdoor tomato plants have been dead and black for a while now.
This latest hard frost and thin layer of snow will kill all the
remaining tender plants (some of which were still in flower today).

Just coming back to note that I am finally going to pick the last few tiny
tomatoes.

One main stem is still green but I would be impressed if it starts to
sprout again.

Cheers

Dave R

---