Old 21-03-2019, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Mice?

On 21/03/2019 22:34, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 21/03/2019 19:03, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:36:20 +0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

On 16/03/2019 17:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
OK, thanks both. It looks like my makeshift cold frame isn't going to
be a safe place for seedlings unless I can mouse-proof it!

what I have done in the past is to make squares of fine metal mesh
(Macsalvors sell it!) that sit on the top of the pots, you just bend the
corners down to stop them falling off.

I used to grow Helebores and the mice used to dig all the seed up and
hide them in all the other pots we had Helebores in everything!

Thanks Charlie. Good suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think of it!
I have some standard 15mm (½ inch?) wire netting - would that do, or
are the holes too big? I know mice have the reputation for being able
to pass through the eye of a needle...

I didn't measure the holes but at a guess they were about 5mm, no idea
if bigger would work, but the light weight small mesh does, never had
problems after deploying it, a single sheet makes loads of squares for 4
and 5" pots

1cm mesh wil probably keep out the mice bit not shrews who are also
partial to seeds.