Old 25-03-2019, 11:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Paper mulch

Paul Drahn wrote:
I've lurked here for years, but seldom see anything to comment on.

We live in the Central ORegon desert and have quite sandy soil, Actually
all volcanic ash! Water drops bounce up the sand and gets on the berries
and gives them a gritty texture, even after trying to wash them. So, the
pine needles break up the water drops, but still lets the water get to
the soil.

huh! learn something new every day.

we get some sand or clay splash but that
rinses away. i never rinse the berries when
i pick them but only right before i'm prepping
them for jam or mashing for shortcakes.

The needles also help to keep the jeans clean when I have to kneel down
to pick the berries.

i can't do a lot of kneeling in any of
the gardens but if i have to get that low
to the ground i have ground pillows to sit
on. much easier on my body. every year is
a new adventure in what i can and can't do.

songbird