Old 07-05-2019, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
downtime null downtime null is offline

Default Black Oyster Mushrooms

songbird wrote:
wrote:
songbird wrote:
Boys! Grow Giant Mushrooms in Your Cellar!

wish i had one Derald!

Well, that's a reference to a Ray Bradbury story from a decade long
past. If I had a cellar that did not collapse, I'd probably spend more
time pumping it dry than growing mushrooms!

that is the problem here, the water table is
too high for any kind of basement unless you
pump water continually. if i stay longer term
i've thought of putting a small divider in
this room to give me some storage/pantry space
along the north wall, but it still wouldn't be
a cellar.

songbird

I've recently taken an interest in mushroom cultivation and I'm working
on making my first grain spawn from some mycelia that a friend gave me
(pink oysters). I'm planning to grow them on a straw and coffee
substrate in a plastic tote. No basement or cellar required.

I've found Fresh Cap Mushrooms to be a great resource for step by step
instructions. You can find him on YouTube and they have a good website.
He shows how to do it all! How to grow cultured on agar dishes, prepare
and inoculate grain spawn, grow in an outdoor bed, build a laminar hood,
etc. If you're interested in growing mushrooms, you should really check
them out.

Also, northspore.com has a great selection of spawn and other resources.