Old 19-05-2019, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa[_3_] Nyssa[_3_] is offline

Default Any trick to planting onion seeds?

T wrote:

Hi All,

I can't get onion seeds to sprout for my life.

I plant them about 1/4 deep, about 3" away from
each other, and water them. Zip. Nothing.

Is there any trick to onions seeds?

Many thanks,
-T

Are they fresh-for-this-year seeds or leftovers from
previous years?

I've found that onion seeds usually don't work unless they're
fresh.

Try planting them closer to the surface. Another trick I
sometimes use with onions or carrot seeds is to cover them
with a thin layer of peat moss instead of potting or seed
starting mix. The peat moss retains moisture and is easier
for the seeds to push through to the surface and light.

Nyssa, who needs to transplant a bunch of started red onion
seeds later today or tomorrow at the latest