Old 21-05-2019, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Reusing Compost

On 21/05/19 10:03, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I was clearing the tubs that help the spring bubls and putting
the used copmost on the veggie patch.

SWMBO asked why I did not use it again, rather than buy new.
Tactfully explained that all the nutrients would have been used
up by the bulbs and if she wanted a good displaing plants this
year it needed fresh soil. Her response, well why don't you
just add the nutrients, you've got a big bucket of Growmore in
the garage!

I wonder - is she right?

Yes.

A handful of Growmore, or a slow release fertiliser like Osmocote should
see you ok for next year. I reuse everything - from compost in pots,
seedtrays, plugs, etc. Maybe add a bit of fertiliser if I remember, or
some new compost. And I never wash old pots - I just brush them out with
an old washing-up brush (and no, I don't put it back by the sink after
use!).

--

Jeff