Old 30-06-2019, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_6_] Bob Hobden[_6_] is offline

Default Flea beetle attack destroying brassicas

On 29 Jun 2019 16:26, Janet G wrote:
Avoiding controversy and keeping to practicalities I would say that well over half of the young plants have been lost. I noticed elsewhere though that flea beetles were crowding onto the mesh covering brassicas but were unable to get through. So I think the treatment has to be mesh rather than netting. I had used butterfly netting on these plants rather than e

nviromesh. Replacing the netting with mesh at least prevented further waves of flea beetles.
For some reason there seem to be a lot more this year than usual at least in my patch. I wonder whether they have come off the nearby rape fields in greater quantities than normal.

Interestingly a couple of years ago we went to an outdoor event next to
some Rape fields and not thinking my wife wore a bright yellow tea
shirt. She was covered in the things. I recon those yellow sticky pads
you get for the greenhouse would do for lots.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden