Old 29-07-2019, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default green onion experiment

On 7/28/19 4:26 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Now this I did not expect. I thought they'd just
rot.

https://ibb.co/b54Y4h1

They now range from 6" to 10" tall.

The three in the foreground, I planted under the ground.
The four in the background, I planted with a nub sticking
up. It made no difference.

I did this because I can not grow green onions from
seed for my life and I wanted to see what would happen.

Next experiment with them: cut them back (eat the tops)
in the fall and see if they over winter! Maybe that is
the way to start a self renewing crop!

so far the bunching onions i've been growing have not
ever gone completely dormant even during the worst part
of the last winter there were still some green stalks.

i tried to eat one last week, but this isn't a good
time for them i guess because it was pretty tough.

i did harvest the seed tops and have tons of seeds.
i'm going to plant some of them in the early fall to
see how they do and if i can get a few rows of young
plants going so i can eat them through the fall and
also have them for the next spring too. i also have
to divide up and replant the two clumps i have so i
can have a few rows of larger plants going.

once i get enough plants going then i don't have to
let the seed tops reach seed stage, but i do like
watching the various bees visit them.

songbird

You are giving me an idea. These nubs I planted, if
they go to seed, maybe they will grow where seeds
from packets will not. (The Wally World seeds
grew to about 1" and then died.)