Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Quegmo Backwater

Default Human civilization is based on the acorn!

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

Wrong dictionary.
As words go this one has got a fairly respectable age:
it is pre-Norman invasion.
Look again.
PvR

From Dictionary.com:

Word History: A thoughtful glance at the word acorn might produce the
surmise that it is made up of oak and corn, especially if we think of
corn in its sense of “a kernel or seed of a plant,” as in peppercorn.
The fact that others thought the word was so constituted partly accounts
for the present form acorn. Here we see the workings of the process of
linguistic change known as folk etymology, an alteration in form of a
word or phrase so that it resembles a more familiar term mistakenly
regarded as analogous. Acorn actually goes back to Old English ćcern,
“acorn,” which in turn goes back to the Indo-European root *g-, meaning
“fruit, berry.”