Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Bill Grange

Default What is 'Sea Foam'

"David Hershey" wrote in message
om...
Sea Foam is also known under the trade name of Super Trees. The Super
Trees webpage implies that it is related to the desert sagebrush which
might be a clue if it is true:
http://www.scenicexpress.com/supertrees.html

This page has some larger photos of the entire plant:
http://www.fcsme.org/bcarl/how_to_ma...supertrees.htm

Possibilities include cultivars named Sea Foam or Seafoam in the
sagebrush genus, Artemisia vulgaris 'Sea Foam':
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p...dem/S450.shtml

and Artemisia versicolor 'Seafoam':

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/sh...b61f5b718b0dd6
1993d5e09969ab4969

However, both of those are silvery which doesn't match your photo.

Here's another hobbyist webpage on Sea Foam for tree-making and it
asks for the scientific name too:
http://www.digitaldioramas.com/2002/...chachinger.php

David R. Hershey

"Bill Grange" wrote in message

Colleagues of mine, working on a model railway, are using some plant
material marketed under the name of 'sea foam', used to make model

trees.
They (and me) are interested to know what exactly this is. Pictures can

be
found at:

http://www.elmgrove2.freeserve.co.uk/index-page12.html

I would be grateful for any help.

Bill Grange

David,

Thank you very much for your information. I'm still at a loss as to what the
plant actually is, though! Artemisia vulgaris is known in England as
Mugwort. It's a plant of urban 'wastelands' and totally different from the
plant sold as 'sea foam'. Artemisia versicolor, too, is not the same plant
as the sample I have.

Bill Grange