Old 14-09-2019, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A thug of a shrub in my neighbour's garden!

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

Actually the reason I'm posting this is because I'd like to know what
this shrub is called. I've given links to a couple of photos. The first
is a sucker growing at the base of my apple tree, the second shows
berries hanging from a branch of the original shrub in the neighbour's
garden.

http://www.rance.org.uk/chameau/img_0292.jpg

http://www.rance.org.uk/chameau/img_0293.jpg

It looks like a Cornus (dogwood), but I am no expert on them.

But I'm also wondering what I can do to eradicate it - if it's possible
(and I'm beginning to think that it isn't). I guess that glyphosate
won't be effective as it'll just keep throwing down more roots as it
goes on its merry way. There's not much point in raising the subject
with my neighbour as there's nothing he can do now to clean my garden.
The roots are shallow so I could put a concrete barrier under the fence
where most of the roots are coming through. As far as the new vegetable
patch is concerned, regular thorough digging will be necessary. Is there
anything else I can do? This shrub really is a thug!

Roots take time to grow, and rarely start suckering immediately. The
suckers in the lawn will eventially die if you keep it mown, because
they have no parent plant any longer. Or you can let them grow, and
glyphosate them. But few will survive in a vegetable patch, assuming
you gig it over at least once a year; only the very deep-rooted weeds,
like horsetail and bindweed, will.

But you will have to block the invasive roots or cut them regularly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.