Old 14-09-2019, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default A thug of a shrub in my neighbour's garden!

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 21:51:04 Jeff Layman wrote:

On 14/09/19 21:30, David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 16:03:10 Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

But I'm also wondering what I can do to eradicate it - if it's possible
(and I'm beginning to think that it isn't). I guess that glyphosate
won't be effective as it'll just keep throwing down more roots as it
goes on its merry way. There's not much point in raising the subject
with my neighbour as there's nothing he can do now to clean my garden.
The roots are shallow so I could put a concrete barrier under the fence
where most of the roots are coming through. As far as the new vegetable
patch is concerned, regular thorough digging will be necessary. Is there
anything else I can do? This shrub really is a thug!

Roots take time to grow, and rarely start suckering immediately. The
suckers in the lawn will eventially die if you keep it mown, because
they have no parent plant any longer. Or you can let them grow, and
glyphosate them. But few will survive in a vegetable patch, assuming
you gig it over at least once a year; only the very deep-rooted weeds,
like horsetail and bindweed, will.

But you will have to block the invasive roots or cut them regularly.

Thanks, Nick, I feel more positive about it now. I'll give it the
glyphosate and mowing treatment. I'm glad I don't have to rip up any
more of my lawn!
I'm just wondering - would an application of glyphosate directly to

root have any effect or does it have to be absorbed through the foliage?
David

It has to be absorbed through the foliage. Note, though, that if you
spray enough of it on it will kill the whole plant - including your
neighbour's - unless you cut the root(s) between the main plant and the
suckers in your lawn.

Already done! But as the shrub is about twenty feet high I guess that it
would take quite a few applications to kill it!

David