Old 16-09-2019, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Name of this giant plant?

On 16/09/19 21:58, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 16/09/2019 18:33, Martin Brown wrote:

I remember the rosebay willow herb of my youth being a much more
vigorous invasive weed in Manchester on a sandy soil. On my North
Yorkshire heavy clay it barely survives and is seldom seen in hedgerows
here except on or near railway enbankments.

Yes. It's definitely a plant of well-drained soils.

I remember it being particularly prevalent in the central reservation
strip of dual carriageways. Even there it would be quite localised,
covering maybe a hundred meters but with nothing for several km either side.

Mind you, it is possible to get very odd things growing in central
reservations. Maybe 20 years ago on the m25 south of Heathrow there
were, over about 50 metres, dozens of giant puffballs!

--

Jeff