Old 24-09-2019, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Montbretia (Aberdeenshire)

On 24/09/2019 14:45, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 24/09/19 13:05, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 24/09/19 11:30, Martin Brown wrote:
doubt there is much that you can do to them that will stop them
growing.
They are almost indestructible.

That is a crazy suggestion - apart from it being illegal (see my reply
to Jim S). Would you say the same thing if he had been given Japanese
Knotweed?!

The OP *must* not plant them. They need to be destroyed.

That seems a little extreme.Â* The plants are for my own garden, not for
planting out and about in random fields and hedgerows.Â* They came from a
neighbour, who is thinning (not removing) hers and, in 20 years here, I
have never noticed the neighbour's plants spreading outside her garden.

Maybe the Wildlife and Countryside Act doesn't apply to Scotland. Even
so, if you really would like a Crocosmia there are much better cultivars
which are not invasive (according to the breeders).

FWIW, I took me five years to eradicate Montbretia in our previous
garden - and I had planted it without knowing what would happen! In our
new place which we moved into seven years ago a small patch of it was
already growing. I dug it out, but it came back, so I must have missed a
corm. I removed that, and a small plant appeared the next year. That
plant was removed, and for three years I didn't see it. This year, it
appeared again.

But in that respect it is no different to foxglove, poppy or teasel.
Once you have them in a garden they are pretty much there to stay.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown