Old 24-09-2019, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Montbretia (Aberdeenshire)

On 24/09/19 16:42, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 24/09/19 13:54, Graeme wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

Montbretia is nothing like so invasive at least where I have gardened.
It might be more of a problem down south but it barely clings on here.

Seems to grow reasonably well here (Royal Deeside) but, as I said
earlier, I have not noticed it invading this or other gardens despite
our neighbour having quite a display.

Are you sure it is *the* invasive Montbretia, or perhaps another variety
which spreads slowly?

The distinction is nugatory. Many or most of the garden hybrids are
the same cross, and will spread in exactly the same way. My guess
is that they will breed back to the wild form, in the same way that
Primulas do, in places where they naturalise and set seed. That's
one of the many reasons that legislation is so appalling.

Up to a point I agree with you - in the end it's all Crocosmia xxxxxxx.
But there are, according to the breeders, crosses which are not as
invasive as "Montbretia". I guess it depends on whether you believe them
or not. I find many Crocosmias quite attractive, but I won't be planting
them in case they spread.

--

Jeff