Old 25-09-2019, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Montbretia (Aberdeenshire)

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 25/09/2019 11:02, Martin Brown wrote:

And why isn't the toxic to horses Ragwort (aka Senecio Jacobaea) on it?
(that is becoming an increasing problem on grazing land round here)

Ragwort (and broad-leaved dock and curled dock and creeping thistle and
spear thistle) is on another lost - the Weeds Act of 1959.

That was entirely about stopping poor farmers from causing trouble to
their neighbours' grazing land. Ragwort infestations, especially, are
almost always caused by using land exclusively for grazing horses.

My guess is that the reason they didn't include couch grass, nettles
etc. is that they don't spread into grazing land by seed.

As far as I know, it's still in force, though hasn't been enforced for
many decades.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.